Monday 25 February 2008

My Google account

I didn't know the use of a very good email id in my first year. Precisely the first gmail account that was created for me. harith.s . See, how simple it is :D. I can stay like this and appreciate the simplicity of this ID for an hour :P. Lesson learnt? Definitely. Listen to what seniors say. I'm glad I did not delete this one like I deleted a "few" others. Really a "few". I deleted a google account to see if my orkut account would be deleted. Got bored of orkut and deleted another one. I also remember deleting an account because I didn't like blogger. All these were before the end of my second year.

Anyway, I'm glad to have not deleted this one. I though this could come in handy sometime in the future. Now, the intricacies in switching to this account ? Many.
  1. Orkut: I recently started orkuting and I already deleted a couple of my old accounts. So, it would be irritating for people to add me again and again and again. They might think I am crazy.
  2. GTalk: Though I don't have many friends in gtalk, I still have this orkut problem again.
  3. G Reader: Oh! the feeds I have subscribed to while browsing? This is not a problem , because I can just export and import the OPML file.
  4. GMail: Never a problem because GMail has POP/Mail forwarding. And you can use "send mail as" feature.
  5. Docs, Calendar, etc: There is always sharing. Ah! I love web 2.0 Do you know when it was released ? :P ( Naveen told me that he heard someone asking that question. Funny thing is, the other person replied "I think it's planned for a release in the next year" :)) )
  6. Google: Forgot the most important thing ? My google web history! I don't think there is a feature in google search that allows me to export all that google has learnt from my searches and import this information into another account. I have this habit of referring to java api if I have a doubt. So, when I first started learning java, I always clicked the java docs api pages. Now, google knows that I want those pages. So, it's just giving me those in the beginning. If I google for "String", I have this java docs api page java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/String.html as my first result. Below that, I have the usual wiki links:

String (computer science) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In computer programming and formal language theory (and other branches of mathematics), a string is an ordered sequence of symbols. These symbols are chosen ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_(computer_science) - 47k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

String theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interaction in the subatomic world: world lines of point-like particles in the Standard Model or a world sheet swept up by closed strings in string theory ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory - 142k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
More results from en.wikipedia.org »


My wingmates very well know why I have that string theory there ;) See the results , even google knows that I am more of a computer science student than a physics student :D So, what do you get if you google "String" ?

Why do I want to switch anyway ? Obvious. I can't tell someone my gmail ID without getting embarrassed , can I ? Since this is the only problem, I can use the cookie swap firefox extension to quickly switch google accounts. And there is a google account multi-login grease monkey script that sucks badly. Since I want my GTalk to tell me when I have a new mail in my Inbox, a simple mail forwarding should do. But, all the tags ? Aah! the nightmare. What ever I do, I need to make a quick decision and get contact IDs of many ug2k4 people.

2 comments:

naveenkr said...

dude, I am also getting the same results as you for the string :D with java at first place and wiki links at fourth.

naveenkr said...

The other thing you miss badly whem you switch accounts is chats. I still don't know what to do with them.